Guest Post by Aly of Her Sword
As a wife, I am always pressing into God on how I can show love to my husband.
I want to grow continuously to love my husband more and to love him deeper. Men have a natural desire to be respected. As women we have a natural desire for love and affection, men reciprocate love as respect.
My husband and I had a long going joke of when he would say, I love you, I would respond, “I respect you.”
We would kiddingly play, but my husband admitted to me, it means more to him when I show him respect above anything else. Saying “I respect you” was speaking his love language. There are many ways to respect our husbands but my favorite way to respect my husband is by building him up!
“The wise woman builds her house, But the foolish pulls it down with her hands.” – Proverbs 14:1
One of the best ways of building your husband up is simply getting to know him fully.
So, when’s the last time you and your husband had a really great, deep conversation about life and each other?
If it’s been a while, you’ll definitely want to check out these Closer Marriage Conversation cards – with 18 deep questions for couples that will help you both open up and start talking again – in a way that strengthens your marriage and draws you closer together.
I want to be someone who builds my house up, not pulls it down. I am a broken woman striving to stay in God’s will and love my husband unconditionally. Due to my broken human nature, it doesn’t always come naturally; I have to be intentional on how I love him.
Below are some tips to help you intentionally build up your husband. These tips have been tested true in my marriage. First and foremost the key to loving and respecting my husband is putting Jesus first. I cannot love without the love of God. I need to fill up on Jesus, so I can love in supernatural strength. With God at the center, there are so many ways to build my husband up!
*See Also: 10 Must-Read Christian Marriage Books
Build Him Up Spiritually
Your husband is the ordained spiritual leader of your home. He has been ordained by God lead you spiritually. Encourage him in that position!
- After he prays for you, tell him you love the way he prays.
- Make comments about his prayers; let him know you were listening!
- If you do devotionals or read the word together, encourage him during that time.
- If he tithes money, tell him how much you appreciate his devotion to God.
- As you see him minister to others, remind him how much God uses Him.
- Give him scriptures that remind you of him.
- Remind him that he has a calling on his life.
- Read Christian Living books together, like Brittany’s book, Putting God First. Discuss it together.
Build Him Up Emotionally
Men may never admit it, but they need encouraging just as much as we do.
- Shoot him a text while he is at work, telling him how proud it makes you that he is a hard worker.
- Show interest in him. If he worked, ask him how his day went, show interest in what he does.
- Tell him you respect him! (This is always important, though sometimes not easy! You may need to read How Do I Show Respect When My Husband is a Jerk.)
- Ask his opinion on a subject and throw in the comment, “I value what you think.”
- Remind him how much you trust him!
- Take notice of his best characteristics, and bring them up to him.
- Tell him how much you love his personality.
- Tell him thank you for the chores he does, even if you EXPECT him to do them, thank him!
Build Him Up Physically
Men get insecure. They want to know their wives are still as attracted to them as they first were. They want to feel wanted. It is important as a wife to build your husband up physically. Building them up physically will help keep the fire going.
- Remind him of all the physical things that attract you to him.
- Send him a text while he is at work; tell him you can’t stop thinking about him.
- Compliment him in the bedroom. (Here are some great Christian sex tips for a stronger, healthier marriage!)
- Tell him how beautiful God created him!
- Make yourself look pretty for him. Nothing is wrong with putting on some lipstick and heels for your man!
- Tell him he makes you feel safe. (Guys love this!)
- The traits you know he is insecure about, build those up. This will help build his confidence.
- Tell him the way he dresses makes him look attractive.
The way we love each other should be a picture of how God loves us. God loves us by building us up. He loves us by telling us we are enough because He makes us enough. He loves us by encouraging us. Therefore, we should build each other up, not put each other down.
Instead of nagging about the things I don’t like about my husband (which is so easy to do in my brokenness), I am encouraging the things I do like, which ends up making my husband a better man. When he feels respected and wanted he goes out of the way to do those little things I request. Let us be women who take notice of the characteristics we love in our husbands!
“Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:11
Although we fall short, with Jesus in the middle of our relationship, we can build each other up. A man that knows His wife has confidence in him can move mountains. Your encouragement can help your husband step into his calling. It can encourage him to be the best him he can be. You, wives, have the power to speak life into your husband. You have the power to build him up or break him. We are called to build, and by building you show him respect, which he so longs for from you.
What are you favorite ways to build your husband up? Leave me a comment below. Or try one of these tips and let us know how he receives!
Aly Hines is a late 20-something year old lady with a heart for Jesus. Three years ago, she encountered the love of God, which freed her from addiction, depression, and anxiety. Now, she is on a mission to help other woman live victoriously through the struggle of everyday issues called life.