Wouldn’t it be great if the world were a nicer place, full of kind people who looked out for each other and were always willing to lend a helping hand?
While it’s probably pretty unrealistic to expect the entire world to behave that way, there’s no reason you can’t behave that way yourself and start a random acts of kindness mini-movement in your area. Be the change you want to see. It starts with you.
Below you’ll find 52 random acts of kindness. Do one a week and you’ll have enough for an entire year. Or, if some of these don’t fit your lifestyle, you can always swap out other ideas or simply pick and choose a few you like. Even if you only do a few, the world will be that much better for it.
I have them divided up into months because some are more appropriate for some months than others, but there’s no reason you can’t switch them all around–do what works for you–just do them!
**p.s. Want a super easy way to help others? Sign up for Giving Assistant! For every purchase you make through the site, YOU get cash back and so does a charitable organization of your choosing. It’s super easy and it’s a great way to help. Plus you get $5 free when you sign up through this link: Check it out!
*This post contains affiliate links. Please see my full disclosure policy for additional information.
1. Shovel your neighbor’s driveway
2. Leave encouraging post-it notes in public places
3. Volunteer to clean and sanitize the toys in the church nursery
4. Offer to drive kids/the elderly to church so they don’t have to walk/drive themselves
5. Donate flowers to your local nursing home
6. Bring a meal to a new mom or elderly couple in your neighborhood
7. Pay past due library fines for strangers
8. Teach a class at church (could be Bible-related or anything else!)
9. Play with the puppies at your local animal shelter
10. Put money in (or next to) parking meters
11. Run an errand for a friend or family member
12. Donate to a cause that is important to you
13. Clean up a local playground or park
14. Clean up trash along the road
15. Donate extra baby items to a crisis pregnancy center that accepts them
16. Help your child write a thank you note for his/her teacher
17. Stand outside a store with a large umbrella when it rains and walk people to their cars
18. Clean out your closet and donate your family’s unwanted clothes, books, movies and toys
19. Compliment a stranger
20. Hand out balloons to kids at the park (with their parents’ permission)
21. Write an anonymous check for someone at your church who has been having a rough time lately
22. Write a letter to your pastor or priest, thanking him for all that he does for your church
23. Donate birthday boxes to your local women and children’s shelter
24. Invite another family from church over for dinner
25. Donate cupcakes or cookies to your local police or fire station
26. Pass out free fans or bottled waters at a local parade
27. Organize a mom’s night out for moms at your church who could use a break
28. Leave extra coupons you don’t need by the items they are for at the grocery store
29. Call a store manager to let them know what a wonderful job one of their employees is doing
30. Take the extras from your garden to church for anyone who wants them
31. Purchase extra school supplies to donate to local elementary schools
32. Leave extra quarters in the machines at the laundromat
33. Donate new toys and books to your pediatrician’s office
34. Invite the neighborhood kids over for an afternoon so their moms can have a break
35. Call and check in on a friend or family member you haven’t heard from in a while
36. Make blessing bags to pass out to the homeless you see
37. Leave an extra generous tip for your waiter or waitress
38. Swoop in and pay for people’s groceries when they least expect it
39. Open doors for people at the mall
40. Return misplaced shopping carts to the corral
41. Donate food to a local food bank
42. Pray for someone you know who is having a rough time lately
43. Be generous with your Halloween candy
44. Volunteer at your local soup kitchen
45. Send care packages to military fighting overseas
46. Help an elderly neighbor rake their leaves or clean their gutters
47. Invite someone to Thanksgiving dinner who has no where else to go
48. Leave a dollar in your Red Box movie
49. Do your Christmas shopping through Giving Assistant and they’ll donate money to the charity of your choice. PLUS you get $5 free when you sign up through this link!
50. Donate to Toys for Tots or buy a gift for an Angel Tree
51. Pay someone’s layaway balance
52. Leave candy canes on random car windshields
So, there you go. Fifty-two random acts of kindness you can do this year. Are you up for the challenge?